Tuesday 23 July 2013

Close to the Finish Line-HST Carpenters' Star Quilt



Carpenters' Star Quilt, mapped out using EQ7.


I am completing an applique for the back of the Carpenters' Star quilt, aka the HST quilt.  HST refers to Half Square Triangles, not the Harmonized Sales Tax as we have in Canada, although not in BC, anymore.

The actual quilt was completed using fat quarters.  Whatever was in the grouping, was what was used in the quilt.  There are only two places on the interior of the quilt that show the same patterned fabric. The borders do have fabric that is consistent.  The interior of the quilt was constructed using a fat quarter frenzy.

I used the quarter inch foot with the blade on the far left, a single hole needle plate, and 2.0mm stitch length.  Straight stitching only. The walking foot on my Pfaff sewing machine was always  on.



HST Quilt, Pattern Carpenters' Star


Another study in quilting using black, cream, and patterns of black on white.  This quilt to be features the Iso triangle, sometimes called the quilt of one thousand pyramids.  Another departure from my usual pallet of colours.


Iso Pyramid Quilt to be.........................

This is another quilt built using fat quarters.  I used a consistent pattern for the base layer at the bottom of the quilt to be, and alternated light, medium and dark patterns.  This quilt would be suitable for someone with contemporary style, and is gender neutral.  

I have yet to decide how to do the binding for this quilt when I get to that point.  I will either trim off all the points on the sides of the quilt, or I may use bias binding to bind off, or alternatively, develop a filler unit for the two long sides of the quilt.  I suspect a custom made die might in the works to finish this quilt properly.

I am currently using the Accuquilt Die Cutter, Studio model, to do all my cutting.  I like having identical units, and do not find any wibbles, or wonky cuts.  I enjoy cutting quickly, and accurately.  I can cut up to 10 layers at a time, depending on the density of the quilting fabric.  What used to take me hours to do, can be reduced by about 90 per cent.  I disliked cutting with a passion.  Until I invested in the Accuquilt Studio cutter and dies.

The piecing time is still what it is.  That part is meditative.  My cutting time has been greatly reduced, and your cutting time will be, as well.  I cut for my own quilting, and cut for other people.  As long as I have the dies in my collection, I can cut hundreds of blocks from what I have in my workshop right now.  The dies can be organized in many different layouts, and the only downside is that we have sew many choices, but sew little time.

2 comments:

  1. A study in blacks, whites and greys, and a bit of red, carefully placed, and a complete departure from the colours I normally use in quilting.

    ReplyDelete