Tuesday 22 October 2013

Labyrinth Quilt

The Labyrinth quilt was an interesting one to cut and sew. I used the pattern called Labyrinth Quilt, designed by Debbie Maddy, from Calico Carriage Quilt Designs.  The quilt was cut using Debbie's instructions, but using the Accuquilt Studio to do the cutting.  The primary shapes are half square triangles and long rectangles.  My version is slightly larger than the cutting instructions.  I used stock dies. 

I did, however, follow her instructions regarding the placement of each unit, to the letter.  One would need to, as each size of quilt as an ever increasing number of frames within frames.  This mapping within the pattern is a sanity saver.  I quilted the quilt on my home embroidery machine, using the quilting in the hoop technique.  

One of the photos below shows the use of paper templates.  These templates were also sanity savers, as I was able to line the embroidery up, precisely where I wanted it, using chalk marks to align my hoops.  I would not attempt to do a quilt any larger than a single person quilt, using the quilt in the hoop techniques.
Quilting in the hoop using paper templates for setting of embroidery designs.

Preliminary layout of the internal part of the design.

I use a series of large bull dog clips to hang my quilt tops for photo shooting purposes.  Line the bull dogs with weather stripping, to grip the cotton fabrics of the quilt.

The clothesline is another handy tool in the yard, for displaying quilts.  I am eyeing, however, the door on the backside of the barn, as it is a lot taller than my clothesline.  The door was used  to create the space for stacking bales of hay, which we no longer do.

Closeup detail of the quilt in the hoop design, a series of leaves from Skeldale House.  I used tone on tone thread, as I did not want the quilting design to jump off of the base fabric.

This quilt in hoop design is from Embroidery Library, and is a pine cone and bough.  The sashing is black, and I used brown Aurilux thread to do the quilt in hoop design.  
The quilt gets to be difficult to handle when it increases in size.  Its then, that I contact one of the talented and local long arm quilters, to do their magic, on what I have stitched together.

Overall, I am pleased with the end result of the Labyrinth quilt.  The colours are unisex, and it can be given to either a gal or fellow.  Its home is undetermined as yet.

1 comment:

  1. Can you tell me where I can get a pdf of this quilt pattern

    ReplyDelete